Monday 5 December 2011

Final fling for 2011 before JHB empies into the sea

Motown1

Catch our final 2011 party on Sat 10 December from 9pm at KITCHENERS cnr Juta & De Beer strs in Braamfontein.

Our 2nd Birthday bash in November with its name & minor format change went down really well. We had our busiest night in our two year history...so busy
that they had to stop people from coming in at one point!

I'm busy editing 3 hours worth of mixes we recorded at the last old REFORM! party in October. I only realised a few days ago that
I left the flash disc in the mixer on record on the night. There are two of my sets and one of Charles. The cool thing is that it's straight out of the
desk so it's excatly what we played, when we played it. I edit out the start and end tracks that are incomplete, split the mix into three and save the files
into a smaller MP3s so they are a bit more managable (it's almost 2 Gigs in its raw .WAV state)
I'll post to MIXCLOUD tomorrow and make the links available here.

A few months ago Charles migrated to his M-AUDIO DJ set-up on the mac with a controller. It's been going well. I've stubbornly stuck to the ol CDJ workhorses
and my trusted DJ bag and orginal CDs.
Last week I purchased an app for the iPad (and special splitter cable) that I'm seriously considering trying out in a live enviroment this Saturday.
It's pretty much a touch screen DJ set-up and works on the two turntable principle. The feel of it is amazing! I was mixing and using the effects
immediatley. It does all the things a pair of regular SL1200s can do right down to the power off effect but with so much more...
My only reservation is choosing songs from a library rather than trawling through CDs. My DJ bag is carefully catalogued and arranged. This sort
of organisation is not possible in the iPad library. One can, however, sort by artist or song (or just search...) I'm also pretty particular about
my file quality and always import or purchase at the highest bit rate available, so at least sound quality won't be compromised.

I can't imagine pitching up to a DJ gig with an iPad, cable and a pair of headphones...it certianly beats my early days of a record box and two milk crates of CDs all
on the back of motorbike with those stretchy cable things and a bunch of black bags as back-up in case of rain.


Posted via email from REFORM!

No comments: